Sunday, October 4, 2009

Berries in the Rain

Every time I drive to Durand, I can't resist the left turn by the sewage treatment plant and the back road by river.  There's always a good chance we'll see something unexpected.

Today it was a Tufted Titmouse, hanging out with House Finches and Goldfinches at the Humane Society dog pens behind the tire factory.  While the titmouse is relatively common within its range (southern Wisconsin), we don't see them very often along the lower Chippewa.

When I opened my car window to take a photo, the titmouse flew off into a nearby tree.  I listened for its call, but the only sounds I heard were the sibilant calls of Cedar Waxwings.   We also spotted several Eastern Phoebes and Yellow-rumped Warblers.  Despite the temperature (54-degrees), insects - flies and midges - still out and about.



The last sunflower of the season
with an insect hiding on disk flowers


 On days like this I can't help but wonder how these birds find enough insects to eat.  Then I look around and see all the fruits...

Celastrus scandens - American bittersweet

Cornus racemosa - gray dogwood


 
Smilax lasioneura  -  Common Carrion Flower



No comments:

Post a Comment