Monday, September 27, 2010

Flood Waters Crest in Durand

The river crest was forecast for 7am today.  I went downtown to check it out.


You can see the water line on the side of these buildings.


Across the bridge, the floodwaters have spread over County Road P.


USGS predicts the river will get get back to "normal" levels by the end of the week.

I walked the Chippewa River State Trail this afternoon.  There was standing water in the woods and farm fields along the trail.  More than I'd ever seen.

But I will remember this day because of the animals I spotted on the trail:  snails, butterflies, a Belted Kingfisher and a day-flying moth, Hyles lineata, also known as a White-lined Spinx (hummingbird) moth.


White-lined Sphinx moth (head on)
White-lined Sphinx moth
This day-flying month is common throughout the western hemisphere.  But this is only the second time I've ever seen one.  They're active from February to November (2 broods).  The caterpillars feed on several plants including four o'clock (Mirabilis), apple (Malus), evening primrose (Oenothera), elm (Ulmus) and grape (Vitis).  They pupate underground.

No comments:

Post a Comment