Saturday, April 9, 2011

Cooper's Hawk Eating Roadkill


I was pulling out of my driveway earlier this week, when I noticed a pile of feathers on the shoulder of State Road 25.  Was it an owl?  I stopped and got out of the Prius for a closer look.  

the wings
No, it wasn't an owl.

the tail

I looked at it - from head to toe.  And I have to admit, I've never seen a bird foot quite like this one.

Toes with Odd Millipede-like Fringe

I had to look at the head (which resembled a chicken) to figure out what it was - a female Ruffed Grouse.  I've spent so much time looking for this species, and wouldn't you know it, I'd see one close-up right in my front yard!  

I didn't want to leave it along the road, as it might cause the death of a scavenger (a vulture, Bald Eagle or coyote), so I tossed it on the lawn where I could keep an eye on it.  Maybe I'd get lucky and see a scavenger go at it.

Here it is, three days later - and a big surprise.

Cooper's Hawk Eating a Ruffed Grouse

A Cooper's Hawk eating roadkill in my front yard!






1 comment:

  1. I got a bird's eye view of a Cooper's Hawk when it landed in the Bottle Brush tree in front of my picture window. He didn't stay long, much to the relief of the House Finches and English Sparrows. I didn't get a photo though.

    ReplyDelete